This week in the blog, we are talking about our upcoming show. World Belly Dance Gala and we are introducing you to Thelma Rose.
Thelma Rose is a Johannesburg based Professional Belly dance teacher, choreographer and performer.
Thelma started her dance life in 1998 with Caribbean style dancing. In 2007 she started and focussed completely on Oriental dancing under the instruction of:
Under whom she has been pursuing knowledge and skill in Egyptian style oriental dancing.
She has been featured in the cover story of issue 9 of raqSAfrica magazine in 2011. In 2010 she coached the Miss India SA 2010 on her winning talent piece. She has also been featured in a local music video in 2009 as a dancer.
Thelma Rose founded her dance troupe “Alimah Roses” who currently train and perform in Johannesburg.
She has been privileged in attending workshops with:
- Hossam and Serena Ramzy in London 2011
- Karim Nagi
- Heather Aued
As well as being invited to solo and group performances with:
- The Samantha Emmanuel Show in Johannesburg 2010
- Bozenka and Karim Hagi show in Johannesburg 2012
- Rohr Masr Show in Durban 2013
- The Oriental Dance Festival hosted by Ajsa Samia and the Palace of the Winds in Cape Town 2011-2015
She has also been a guest performer at various annual studio showcases including:
- The Dancing Divinity Showcase 2011
- Oriental Fire Showcase 2012
- Oriental Invasion Showcase 2012-2016
- Dancers of the Desert show in 2013 and 2014
- Belly Divas Hafla in Durban 2013.
Thelma was crowned as the first ever South African Drum Solo Queen in July 2014.
Her dance style is known to reflect and project happiness and energy on stage, and sometimes body poetry to suit the mood of the performance and music.”
Melanie started dancing and performing for Janka’s Oriental Dance Studio in 2006. Under the mentorship of Janka Kliment, Melanie began her training to become an Oriental Dance teacher in 2008 and completed it under Asja Samia in 2011. Melanie is also a certified health and fitness instructor. Following Janka’s return to Slovakia in 2013, Melanie and Jessica chose to carry forward the vision of their friend and mentor. They purchased the studio and continue to teach the art and beauty of the dance to all aspiring belly dancers.